Sunday, August 31, 2008

Week Nineteen: Saturday

Please Note: Saturday was on Sunday

I am glad that I waited to write up this week’s run until later in the day. Otherwise, it would have read something like “Why the F am I doing this to myself? I am miserable and any success I have is a fluke. I am not going to finish this stupid thing and it will all be a colossal waste of time.”

Now that I have had some time to recover, I can look at today a little more positively and be somewhat satisfied with today.

Brother of Fat Guy and I took off at 8 am and were doing pretty well. I started checking my watch around mile 10 and started to get discouraged because we were not on pace to do 13.1 in 2 hours 17 minutes, which didn’t make sense to me. It also started to get hot as we were almost two hours into the run. I finally crapped out between mile 10 and 11 and then was kind of spotty until between 12 and 13 when we made it to my house for Gatorade. Then we walked for ¾ miles, ran a half mile and then walked the rest of the 4 miles to make 18. I was just beat and could not muster up the strength to run any more. I decided that this would be a good time to gauge how fast I walk at the end of a long run to determine how much time I would have if I needed to walk the rest of the marathon. Frankly, after 2 miles walking, I would have liked to do a walk/run because I was sore, my feet hurt, and I wanted to be at home.

The end result with all the walking was 18 miles in 3 hours 58 minutes. This was a horrible backslide from the week before. My hope is that this disappointment will prompt a decent performance in the 20 mile run I am doing in White Bear Lake on Saturday. It will be my second organized run and I am hoping that I can make a better showing than today.

Oh, and it took an hour and seven minutes to walk 4 miles. I feel that if I can run 20 miles in 4 hours, if I have to walk the rest I should be able to finish in the 6 hour 15 minute time limit.

The upside of all this is that my recovery time was like a fifth of the time that it was the weekend before. I worried that I would get nothing done today and not be able to move. We actually took the wee one to Minnehaha Falls and walked around and it was no problem. Hell, I am going to go to the fair tomorrow morning. I am not sure if this is because of the walking at the end or that my body is more accustomed to the long distances. My guess is a little of both.

No comments: