Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Week Seven: Wednesday

Thanks to Turkey Bait (AKA Leslie. I debated on Turkey Feed but ultimately felt that Turkey Bait had a better ring to it. For an explanation of what I am talking about, read some of the prior entries.) my eyes have been opened to a whole new way of running.

She called me last week to tell me about the benefits of running to Gangsta rap. She could not have been more right.

I made a playlist with all the songs of the Hip/Hop and Rap, Rap and the one Gangsta song and set the iPod to random. When the first song’s chorus was “Blow it out your @$$” I knew that this was going to bring things to a whole new level.

There were two real benefits to Gangsta runnin’. The first is that it is the perfect juxtaposition to the suburban wonderland I am running through. I run by lake homes in suburbia and through a regional park. The only gang activity I saw was two rival crews throwin’ down some seriously lethal extreme Frisbee beat downs. The second wonderful part of it is that you can run to the beat of the song. I was getting seriously hot and winded and then Snoop comes in and saves the day with “Lodi Dodi”. It was exactly what I needed at the exact perfect time.

The one thing that I was unprepared for is that I am now taking sides in battles that I know nothing about. What do I think of Ja Rule you ask? Let me tell you. Don’t like him much. He should not have started a battle. Why am I taking such a strong stance against Ja Rule? Well, because one of the last songs that I listened to was by Eminem/D10/50 Cent and it was catchy and it spent the whole song explaining why Ja Rule should not have started the fight and how he sucks. I tend to believe catchy songs. Maybe if Ja Rule could communicate his side to me in a catchier song than I would switch my alliance to him. Until then, I am on 50’s side. Take that, Jeffery.

I ran 30 minutes with only a little problem in the middle. I am telling you that this is going to be the way to go. I actually kept running for about a minute and a half after the 30 minutes because that awesome Wu-Tang song from the beginning of Knocked Up came on. I could have kept going but I don’t want to get ahead of the program. I almost ran 3 miles though. I was way ahead of my previous pace because my gangsta pace was blindin’ sucka BCs (Bicyclists).

I need to immediately invest in the entire Wu-Tang and MC Chris catalog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I can't provide any advice on running, I can confirm that putting rap music in the background makes almost everything seem strangely cinematic or at least more amusing than it normally would be. If you want to borrow some rap CDs, feel free to raid my collection. A good starting point might be tracks like "You Know It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp", "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Gangster" and anything by Too Short about the difficulty (or ease) of being a pimp. "P.I.M.P." by 50 is kind of fun too.

Anonymous said...

I suggest Salt N Pepa, can't remember the song but I know you know what I am talking about.

Fat guy who ran a marathon said...

I do know what you are talking about anonymous.

S and the P wanna kick with me......