Sunday, July 13, 2008

Week Eleven: Saturday

Please Note: I really apologize for the backlog of postings. I have a valid excuse. This post was written on Monday but not posted because I did not make it home from work. No, I did not end up getting locked into an Old Country Buffet with Jennifer Connelly ala Frank Whaley in Career Opportunities. I couldn’t remember Frank Whaley’s name so I cheated and looked it up. I totally didn’t know that was a John Hughes film.

I really thought that everything was going to be ok with the foot, but Friday and for the rest of the weekend is was painful to walk on the thing. I did not run Saturday as a result and I am going to take it easy for the next 2 weeks.

I have self diagnosed myself with Plantar Fasciitis. It is a pretty common foot injury apparently. The recovery time can be months but with exercise and rest you can cut that time down to a couple weeks. I picked up some pads for my work shoes and I think I am going to start taking anti-inflammatory drugs for a little while.

I don’t feel like 2 weeks off is going to make this impossible. It will just be more difficult. In order to make sure that I am still working toward the goal I am going to make some adjustments to the schedule. I am going to go the same amount of miles as I would have running on an elliptical machine. While this is not an even trade I feel like it will be better for the foot while still providing me with a workout.

I am also going to start a new diet/exercise program called the “TNT diet”. I had hoped when I bought the book that it was just listening to TNT by AD/DC over and over again which I would probably have done anyway. Turns out it is a little Atkinsy mixed with upper body free-weight work and protein shakes. The workout program is pretty manageable, 3 days a week which I will do on my running days off.

I did Atkins a bunch of years ago and I did lose weight. For a while. The nice difference here is that I am not going to just eat meat and probably live on just vegetables for a while which I should be doing anyway.

Don’t fret. I will still blog. I have no idea what I will talk about. The elliptical machine is in a very small room in my basement and the chances that any animals or people will do something worth writing about is virtually nil. I may have to keep an eye on the spiders though. I have no idea where their allegiance is. They may like bicyclists because a bike’s spokes have got to be a great place for a lazy spider to spin a web. Half the work is already done! They may get a little pissed when the colorful giant comes and ruins all their work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I am pretty sure that even though you have never received a massage from me, I am your favorite massage therapist. I know all about plantar fasciitis. I have cured it in people. I learned about it in school. Massage is way better for it than surgery or drugs. I'm not just saying this cuz I play a massage therapist on TV. I also had no recollection how to spell plantar fasciitis, I copied it from your post. I can help.