Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Week Fifteen: Wednesday

Since I have run with my brother a couple times now, I have really noticed the extremes in interactions with people you meet on the trails. My philosophy is much like my philosophy at the mall, on the bus, at Easter dinner… don’t say anything and my God, whatever you do, don’t make eye contact. Every once in a while I will get a “Hey,” and respond. That is about all I have time for.

My brother, on the other hand, makes it a point to greet each person, couple, or family with a “How’s it going?” or a more formal “How are you?” Not only is this completely out of my comfort zone, it also makes me look like a complete a-hole because I am sticking with the NECOS (No eye contact or speech) Philosophy. When he does this, people seem genuinely excited and others are taken aback but not once has anyone just ignored him.

Tonight was a small victory. We ran more than 3 miles in about 35 minutes, walked 15 minutes, then ran what I believe was more probably more than two miles for a total time of 1 hour 10 minutes. It seems like when I went 11 miles I walked more than I ran and still was at around a 14 minute mile. I hope I was not mistaken on my 11 mile distance.

No comments: