Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Week Four: Monday

I decided to google the blog and see if it comes up. It opened my eyes to a whole new world of fat guys and their involvement with marathons.

There are a couple sites out there by guys that have done this type of crap before. The one guy, Jacob at www.whatwouldjacobdo.com, seems to be the most dramatic and highly publicized. This dude was 438 pounds and trained to run the Boston Marathon in 9 hours and 40 minutes. He lost like 80 pounds in the process.

Here is a line from his website’s FAQ:

Q: Isn't losing that much weight so fast really unhealthy for you? (From My Heart)

A: No more unhealthy than cutting myself during a "My Super Sweet 16" Marathon.

Not only is this dude bigger than me, he is funnier than me.

His nickname is “The Bear” which is my also my alter-ego. “The Bear in the Cave in the Morning in the Afternoon during Happy Hour” is my wildly successful radio show. I have like an 80 share amongst the most coveted demo: Hot Dish employees.

Now, I never thought that this idea had never been attempted, but I didn’t know about this guy until I did this search. His site is really interesting; especially the people that wrote him to insult him. What a bunch of a-holes.

If anyone wants to tell me I can’t do it, feel free. It will just motivate me more. And I do not consider success just crossing the finish line. I need to finish in 6 hours, 14 minutes and 59 seconds.

The other thing that he did was add a charity element which I have been kicking around the idea of.

The Monday run was another success. I ran 20 minutes. I had hoped to achieve that by the end of the week. The total distance was 1.89 miles. This is a little less than the 10 minutes miles I had hoped, but it was both a distance and a length of time record. Walked .75 miles and then ran the last .25 miles back home. I was out for about 37 minutes. I am not only pleased with the front end progress, but that I was also able to pull it together to run the ¼ mile at the end.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Week 4 into this blog and I'm just learning about it now??!?! It's great - and so is your ambition to run a marathon. When are you going to organize a group run around Long Lake? Count the Johansens (Haley in the stroller) in.

Unknown said...

One question: this alternative blog doesn't mean the Idol blog is over with, does it???

Big Jilm said...

I can't believe that guy only lost 80 pounds training for a marathon. I lost 30 just walking my dog last summer. I guess that is almost a quater of his body weight though. Good luck buddy, I hope you don't die! ;-)

Fat guy who ran a marathon said...

Nena -

Long Lake is my running area, so any Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday I am down. You bring Haley, I will bring the Defibulator.

I am sticking with Superscout until the end.

Carl Rue said...

Jason:

I'm so excited and proud of you!
Come down to Madison and we can run around the the lake (13 miles.) You would get to see me in my short shorts. We could talk about our hopes, dreams and fears.I would LOVE to make you a running mix of music - Spice Girl, etc.
-Carly Rue