Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Week Four: Wednesday

Dear Happy Hour-

I will get straight to the point. Things have been different for us recently. It started a month ago when although we spent time together, you could tell that I was mentally somewhere else.

I owe you an explanation.

I gulped down my beer and was thinking if I was going to be able to pull off running after a can of Hamms, a can of Lone Star and a can of Fat Cat. Yes. I was thinking about running. There, I said it.

You don’t think it hurts me? The next day I found out that Mike dumped a full Bloody Mary on his lap after I left! I had been sitting right next to him! I would have had a front seat to that!

A week ago I had every intention of making it up to you by coming out after I ran. But I swear I lost my cell phone. It turned out to be in my car, but the damage was done.

I feel like I owe it to you to end this instead of dragging it out. I turned you down tonight to go running. It was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do.

I feel like we should take a break. I still want to see you, but just less. Right now the only day that works for me is Tuesday and that typically is not a good Happy Hour day. Thursdays and Fridays, yes. Tuesdays? Too much week to go and not enough behind you.

Here is my promise to you. While we are going through this rough patch I will make every effort to run in the morning once in a while. Then I can enjoy my time with you to the fullest. After October, everything will be back to normal.

Oh, that’s right. The baby is due in July. Sorry honey. We are through.

Thanks for the memories,

Fat Guy

Ran 21 minutes, only one minute more than Monday, but covered a lot more ground. Went about 2.25 miles. Walked a half mile and then ran back the .25 miles home.

Since pretty soon I will have to be running 3 miles pretty regularly, I feel like I am making progress. It is still difficult, but just breaking those barriers is very satisfying.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Just found your blog! Looking forward to reading more!

Anonymous said...

Your Dear John letter to Happy Hour reminds me of the difficult decision Dave Chappelle has to make at the end of "Half-Baked". If it was up to me, I would go to Happy Hour every day so I feel your pain. And drinking definitely makes you not feel like doing anything like running or working out afterwards. I have often joked that I am drinking for two but now it's true.