Friday, May 02, 2008

Week Two: Thursday

Due to some babymamadrama, I had to run out of work and visit the wife in the hospital. Everything turned out alright. She was having contractions which is cool when you are in labor, not cool when you are only 30 weeks along.

The contractions were not causing labor so we are cool for now.

I got back from the hospital and in my rush out of the office I realized that I did not grab my ipod. This means that I will have to run with only the voices in my head to entertain me. I really hope they don’t tell me to burn things. Again.

The no ipod situation is actually a blessing in disguise because it is clunky and helps along the process of my pants falling down. The gut makes it difficult to keep the running pants up.

I brought the dog along with me for the first time. My concern has been that she will be a pain in the ass and crap early and often, leaving me carrying a bag of crap for a half hour.
She didn’t disappoint. She crapped 1 minute into the run. Nothing like jogging in place watching a dog taking a crap to make you re-evaluate your life. I bagged it but, in a stroke of genius, left the bag on the ground, knowing that either I would pick it up on the way back, or some freak that is into dog crap would have a lucky day.

She crapped again on the way back and I did not have a bag for it. It was in tall grass, but I don’t want to be one of those dog owners so I laid some sticks down as a marker and remembered this pirate’s rhyme:

“Look for the sticks off the path that lead into the grass;
This is where you will find what came out of your dog’s ass.”

Ran damn near a mile and in almost 11 minutes. There was some pausing to put the dog on the lease when people were around, but I was overall pleased. Got past the hill that tripped me up last time. I was pretty proud of myself.

I didn’t run on the tail end for more than a minute. I justified it a bunch of different ways, and I think without the dog I would have ran another 4 minutes, but overall it was a good session.

No comments: